Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Alpha Beta Omega, whatever...

I'm just a parent.

There are all these different articles and books about Tiger Moms and Dolphin or Jellyfish Moms, Helicopter Parents, Alpha, Beta, and even Omega parents these days, it's just confusing.

I'm something of all these things at times. I love to read all about different styles and ways of being and behaving and learning and growing. I always have. The more things I've read, the more ideas I have and the better the toolkit I have to choose my tools from.

I don't know why people always seem to be looking for labels for each other and themselves.

I want to be authoritarian when it matters. I want to bend when it matters. I want my child to be exposed to many different experiences, and I want him to learn how to commit to something and stick to it, to practice at something until he's good at it, even if it's unpleasant for both of us in the interim. I want my child to be able to walk away from something that's just not the right fit for him, and I want him to be able to judge for himself and choose for himself what he would like to do and who he would like to be.

I just want to be the best parent for him that I can be. Things that will work for my son, may not work for him coming from another parent or work for me towards another child, and that's why, though I'm happy to tell people what I do, and give my reasons, sometimes whether I'm asked or not (d'oh!), I don't try to judge or enforce my ways as best. See, I don't know your kid that well, and you don't know mine that well, and I'll never be close enough to another parent (except my cohabiting one) to know what-all goes on in your home or what-all has happened in your history to make you who and how you are.

It's not my place to give you a label or to accept a label, and I don't think any one of us needs one. If you want one, that's cool though, more power to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment