Friday, February 26, 2010

what is evil?

This is an honest question 'cause sometimes I have a hard time figuring out if what I think is evil actually is or not. I was raised Baptist, they think most things are evil. :D I'm not religious anymore, so I've been working on my own scale of what's evil/ bad/ good and whatnot.

Anyway, here's an example:

Say someone you know has decided to hate someone they have to deal with indefinitely: like a neighbor in a neighborhood of houses so it's hard to move because you've bought the house and you're in a mortgage and the economy is bad, for instance.

Say this person tells you that he/she has decided to do everything in his/her power to make the hated neighbor's life miserable, including doing super-nice things for the other neighbors to try to sway them to his/her side of things and eventually make them hate the neighbor, too.

Basically, instead of dealing with the problem by attempting to work with the neighbor, maybe by being considerate or compromising or something, or seeking outside mediation in a fair way, the person you know is going to manipulate other people into making the neighbor's life miserable. And this could potentially go on forever.

Is that evil of the person?

I'm of the opinion that it's certainly shitty if nothing else... but I'm pretty sure that it's wrong in an evil sort of way, too. Doing things that look good on the surface, but which are intentioned to purposefully hurt someone else... this just doesn't sound right to me. It's saccharine when you're expecting honey... still sweet, but one will give you cancer.

Truthfully, pre-baby, I think if I were a friendly acquaintance of this person, I would probably have taken advantage of the potentially fake nice/fun stuff for as long as I could before taking definitive preventative/safety measures. I was generally a lot more hedonistic/ curious to know the why and wherefore of other people's behavior before I became a mother. Now though, I just don't have the time, energy, or inclination to keep things in my life that could dramatically blow up or turn on me anymore... excepting, of course, people I cannot remove entirely for genetic reasons.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment