Wednesday, November 25, 2009

the day of thanks

Things that I am grateful for:

1. My son.
His health, his smile, his voice, his fingers and toes, his sticky hands, his two little teeth, his bright blue eyes, his wispy bits of hair, his soft delicate skin, his little chubby knees, for the way he pulls up on things, that he recognizes his name, when he sticks his tongue out and goes pbbth! and when he yells "AHHHH Ah ah ah ah! Ah DADADDADAA BABA AH DAH!" when he's in my bed with me in the mornings and he puts his little hands on my face very gently and makes little sleepy mumbling noises. I'm thankful that I get to hold him. When he puts his arms around my neck, the world is a better place.

2. My friends and family.
Thank you for being around me. For supporting me. For loving my son. Sometimes, you may not think you've done anything, but you have. You guys have kept me going. Each of you has given me a gift by being in my life. Each of you has taught me things and continue to do so. I know that having you in my life has made it better and I'm glad that you're still here now that I have a son and that many of you want to be involved in his life as well. I only hope that I can give back to you as much as you have given me.

3. My child's father.
I'm thankful that despite our personal problems, he loves his son and that he tries to be there with and for him. I'm thankful that he does ask my advice and for my instructions on how to do things when he doesn't know, even when it bothers me sometimes. I'm thankful that he's smart and talented and attractive and has good taste in things because hopefully those qualities will make it easier to raise our son to be all of those things.

4. I'm thankful for my job and my coworkers. It's a good place to work and they're good people and have encouraged me and we seem to all get along well which is unusual sometimes. They've been there with me through my pregnancy and through James' infancy offering advice and tangible help above and beyond what I ever expected.

5. I've been lucky. Despite my occasional isolation, depression, and the black days, things are good. James is basically healthy; we were in a car accident and no one was hurt, I'm basically healthy. We're basically happy. We have basically everything we need. These are things to be grateful for: that we are here at all, and that each day is new.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment