Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Gadabout

gad·a·bout
(gād'ə-bout')
n. One who roams or roves about, as in search of amusement or social activity.

See also: Synonyms of gadabout


Ugh... so apparently on Jeopardy the other day, which, along with Tyra and Judge Judy, is what people who are unemployed or stuck in their homes either without "the good tv" (i.e. cable or satellite) or much to do seem to watch, there was a person in a sparkly ascot who was introduced as a self-proclaimed gadabout. This, of all things, inspired my child's (unemployed since January for an indefinite amount of time by choice rather than lack of opportunity), father in some way. "That guy's kinda funny," was the explanation. I really don't understand this, so I'm going to say that it's probably a guy thing. Sorry guys that don't get it either, I'm blaming the Y-why-why- why- wh- wh- wh- why-Chromosome (imagine me singing into a vocoder to the tune of Jaime Foxx's "Blame it (on the alcohol)" song) for this one.

I found a link to the self-proclaimed gadabout... http://gawker.com/5325119/meet-john-munson-self+proclaimed-gadabout After reading that and seeing the clips and whatnot, from here on out, I think the term gadabout should be used to describe hipster-douchebags. My friend Leigh and I had a brief talk about hipster-douchebags on twitter the other day.

What I posted: Aren't these two groups sort of the same definitionally? :-P from @ultra8201 : Hipsters meet douchebags, douchebags. Hipsters. Mingle....

Leigh replied: @astar_alone I always thought of a hipster as more of a "fashion" person going for a certain kind of a look, certain labels. A douchebag is...
basically a guido outside of new jersey...and they don't have to necessarily be orange-skinned... so in a nutshell, hipster for "fashion" and douchebag for personality. hence a hipster douchebag in single or combo... or you can have the ultimate scenester hipster douchebag, whom of which should be avoided at all costs

My reply: @schatze78 - Based on your explanation, I'm imagining a Venn diagram: american apparel -hipsdouchesterbag- abercrombie w/circles and colors.


Here's where I tried to draw the diagram I was talking about, but with "gadabout" as the designation for the overlap:

Click for Diagram

Probably if I slept more and didn't live in an efficiency apartment with a four month old, or if I had faith that someone would magically show up to bail us out, I'd want to be a gadabout (at least so far as the pursuing fun with no consequences sort of idea/definition goes) too, but I still don't think I would've ever, even at my most hedonistic, embraced it as one of my labels because I'm a process person. I don't like labels because I know I'm going to change and outgrow most of them in short order. I wonder if there isn't a point in everyone's life where you just want... if not something else, at least MORE? If there's a point where the parties and the drinking and the hangovers get old? What does a self-proclaimed gadabout grow into? Where do you go from hipster? What's the next step in the evolution of your life?

Of course, I guess I should say that, as with greatness, some are born with a label while others have it thrust upon them. Like me with the whole Mommy thing. That's my label now. I wasn't born a Mommy... and I'm still more than just a mom. I'm not too worried about labeling what else I am right now... but gadabout is certainly NOT any part of it. <3

1 comment:

  1. As a former single mom, I can totally relate to this. Having little support from the sperm donor, aka their father, it was overwhelming and scary sometimes. I'm remarried to a great "step dad" now, after years of "going it" alone. My kids are soon to be graduating from college (yes, WE paid for it.) The struggles my kids and I went through made us stronger, but I still resent that it even happened. They deserved better. It was always one step forward, two steps back. At times, my anger was the only thing that kept me going; it drove me to succeed. Being able to laugh when you really want to cry helps a lot. Don't beat yourself up by thinking that the best you can do isn't good enough. Love your kid, keep moving on, and whatever you do, don't stop bouncing.

    ReplyDelete